22 December 2013

An exploration of the meaning of a pilgrimage in the 21st century

This has been one of the aims of a project undertaken by me and to which the following blog will be dedicated. As a way of introduction, I have gone on three different pilgrimages with an idea of both having my own experience of this type and investigating what does such a journey (excursion / trip?) mean for others. Three places you can find in the title section of the blog and which will be repeated numerous times in the posts that will follow, that is, Lourdes, the Pyrenees and the Camino de Santiago. These have been my three pilgrimages. Or just one big pilgrimage? Just a word of explanation at the beginning. Although I will be using a word “pilgrimage” a lot, I do not understand it as simply a religion-related activity. Rather, when it is employed, I am referring to a more broadly conceived journey or expedition that has a certain looking for something quality imprinted on it. Not to keep you for too long from your Sunday evening weekend fun, I will mention only one more thing. The project would not have been possible without the trust and support of the Lord Rootes Memorial Fund. Thank you! This blog has been prepared as a partial fulfilment of the commitments I have undertaken in the application for a Lord Rootes Memorial Fund award. 

Looking forward to yet another post!

PS. This is what you can sometimes see when  you set off for an adventure:


Taken: Camino de Santiago, somewhere between Sarria and Ferreiros

No comments:

Post a Comment